Hoyoyo Sparklineers from across the internets!
This post is more of a questionning on gamedesign and immersion than a full blown update post (coming real soon).
The question we are having trouble with (the “team” as a whole) is:
– in an open world where you can potentially have “sex” with any character (male/female/alien/deity) by pushing his quest far enough.
Do you have to choose a gender from the beginning
Do you play as you wish, not having determined what gender you play
My point is that if there is no gender “declaration” at the beginning, will you be able to play as an other gender/style than the average “Joe Spacehumper, conqueror of big boobed ladies”?
Will an average straight-player who might have played a woman if asked (and RP’ed it) make the assumption that he can be a woman(or gay/bi/whatever man) and have multi-sex-race-whatever relation whithout having said to the game “hey ok I’m totally not gay but I’m gonna play as a woman/gay/bi/whatever” ?
This questions is in my sense a good indicator of the current state of videogames, which is bad, as in you are accustomed to not being free:
– HEY THERE PRINCESS DIED, RELOAD OR SHUT IT DOWN!
– HEY THERE SORRY YOU CANT JUST RUN AWAY, YOU MISSED THE CHOICE TO DO SO 15mn AGO! RELOAD!
– HEY THERE DON’T DARE TO THINK YOU COULD HAVE AN AGREEMENT WITH THE BADDIES! YOU’RE A GOOD GUY! OH YOU DIED! RELOAD!
– HEY THERE YOU SAID YOU WERE A MAN AND IT’S FORBIDDEN BY THE INTERNETS GODS TO TRY FLIRTING WITH ANOTHER MALE CHARACTER! RELOAD!
I’d really love not having to tell the player that he’s free to do things (just try it, darn!). But I sense it would be detrimental to the experience of many, as they would not know that something better than current RPGs is possible (and thus would just not try).
Anyway! We sense that having the freedom of sex and interests is at the cornerstone of modern gaming, just take care when mating with an ethereal supra-being from outer space!
So tell me what you think on this issue